How to prepare your home for fall and winter
10 Steps to Prepare your Home for Fall/Winter
- Inspect and clean gutters and downspouts
- Inspect your roof for damaged or curled shingles, corroded flashing or leaky vents.
- Drain and winterize outdoor faucets and irrigation systems
- Clean or replace dirty furnace filters
- Have a professional inspect your heating system
- Check all weather-stripping around windows and doorframes for leaks to prevent heat loss. Replace weather-stripping if necessary.
- Replace screen doors with storm doors.
- Make sure ceiling fans are switched to the reverse or clockwise position, which will blow warm air down to the floor for enhanced energy efficiency and comfort.
- Install foam-insulating sheets behind outlets and switch plates on exterior walls to reduce outside airflow.
- .Clean gutters of any debris. Make sure downspouts extend away from the house by at least 5 feet to prevent flooding of the foundation and water damage from snow melt.